Summer is officially here and vacationers are on the go! From booking hotels and buying tickets to planning fun-filled itineraries with things to see and places to visit, Merriam is happy to welcome you to town! Although many destinations claim they are affordable, fun and unique, the Kansas City metro area should definitely be on your list for that next vacation if you’re seeking awesome attractions, fun, family events and budget-friendly options for lodging, dining and more. In fact, did you know that Kansas City ranked the “Most Affordable Getaway” for the fourth consecutive year by Travel + Leisure? And, Merriam was recently named as one of the “Top 100 Small Towns in the U.S.” by Livability(#76). It’s no secret that some of the regional events, attractions and visitor favorites help to earn these types of designations, so our CVB decided to help you take in a few of our tried and true, some old and new, must-see and do’s across the metro this summer! Yes, we lean heavy on the Merriam offerings, but we think you’ll like them! Happy summer everyone–we hope you enjoy your visit!
1. Passport to Summer Fun (Merriam, KS) — this fun-filled activity for the kiddos takes you to six different locations in Merriam to earn a passport stamp and enter to win a prize basket filled with summer goodies.
2. Bucket List (Kansas City, KS) — designed to give you 94 days of summer fun, you’ll find a great check-list of events, activities, eateries and more!
3. Where is Modernism? (Shawnee, KS) — if you’re headed to KC with your own transportation, this cool driving tour features many of the commercial mid-century modern gems along Metcalf Avenue, and the corresponding map invites you to explore some of the area’s residential neighborhoods too!
4. How About those Kansas City Royals — whether you’re a fan of the boys in blue or not, Kauffman Stadium is a sight to see. Beautiful fountains, a fantastic kids area with fun games and activities, tons of food options, and, if you’re lucky, a surprise visit in the stands by Sluggerrr make The K one of KC’s beloved sporting attractions.
5. The Great Lenexa BBQ Battle — Lenexa offers a 2-day BBQ event in June with 185 contestants, 240 judges, children’s activities and live music (June 26-27).
6. Lego Exhibit at Powell Gardens — nothing is cooler than life-size insects and sculpture completely made of LEGO’s at Nature Connects 2.
7. If you’ll soon be an empty-nester, go ahead and prepare early for the college dorm life with items and furnishings from IKEA Merriam!
8. Summer Sundays in Merriam! Food, music, friends and neighbors joining together for Sunday dinner FOOD TRUCK style is the way to go for a laid-back weekend dinner party!
9. Red, white and blue, we love you! Merriam’s Flags 4 Freedom is a contender for the ABA’s Top 100 events across the U.S. and one you should plan to see if you’re in the neighborhood June 27 – July 5. With over 1,200 U.S. flags on display, you’ll find yourself immersed in Old Glory right in downtown Merriam.
10. Pianos on Parade! This summer community art offering is so awesome, it’s a must-see while in KC. With 100 pianos across the metro just waiting for your visit, you’re sure to enjoy the parade and may even decide to tickle the ivories! Merriam’s “I Spy” piano is a seek and find variety located at the Merriam Marketplace, 5740 Merriam Drive.