May 7-13, 2023 is National Tourism Week across the country—a celebration enacted by Congress back in 1983 to recognize the monumental impact travel and tourism has on the U.S. economy.
From shopping and dining, to overnight visits for business travel, leisurely weekend getaways, or attending a sporting event, visitors to our community have a profound effect on the economic impact of travel within our destination. As more than 33 million visitors explore our state each year, we are fortunate to welcome many to Merriam where they can take part in all the fun things to see and do across the city.
Let us help you plan your next visit to Merriam—check out our list of seven days and seven ways to celebrate National Tourism Week!
- Shop – Whether you’re in the mood for aisles of inspiration at the IKEA, or want to find a new-to-you treasure at Slater St. Antiques, check out Merriam’s list of places to spend a little time shopping during your stay!
- Dine – Sink your teeth into a juicy burger on special at Hurricane Allie’s, or dine with friends exploring cultural dishes that delight at Anita’s or El Pulgarcito.
- Play – Merriam is park plentiful with 10 parks and a trail that goes for miles! Discover them all as you walk, bike or jog the natural green spaces throughout the city. Head over to Antioch Park to visit Dodge Town, or trek the Turkey Creek Trail to see wildlife, the new pollinator garden, or to achieve your daily step count!
- Events – Enjoy a weekly Farmers’ Market on Saturday morning in downtown Merriam (opens May 6) or catch a free concert on a Friday night at a local park. With dozens of events happening throughout the year, you’ll surely find fun around every corner in Merriam.
- History – Learn what makes Merriam the town it is today with the Otocast app and the Merriam History Tour. Digitally guide yourself throughout Merriam’s pivotal points in history including our founding, the former Merriam Park, and the case that spearheaded Brown v. Board of Education.
- Arts – Take an art stroll throughout Merriam to discover sculptures, murals, monthly exhibits and more. With more than a dozen art pieces across our 4.3 square miles, you can visit them all within the day.
- Stay – After a day’s excursions, it’s time to rest up! Spoil yourself with a nice hotel room complete with breakfast in the morning and amenities you won’t find at home!