February is the perfect time to get out and explore Merriam with that special someone in your life! With an entire day devoted to love on Sunday, February 14, hearts, candy, romance and snow are all in the air! If you’re still searching for ideas to surprise your Valentine, despite the challenges of COVID-19, there are plenty of ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day in Merriam. We’ve rounded up our top five Valentine’s Day ideas below–check ’em out!
- PUPPIES. Need we say more? Send your love a fluffy, floppy puppygram from Merriam’s Great Plains SPCA. The entire month of February, the staff at Great Plains will deliver a sweet puppy visit to your home, office or home office. Learn more at https://greatplainsspca.salsalabs.org/puppygrams2021/index.html
2. SWEET TREATS. Valentine’s Day equals sweets, and Merriam is chock full of them. Start your day with heart-shaped doughnuts from Krispy Kreme. Stop by Russell Stover Candy Co for those famous chocolate dipped strawberries or a heart-shaped box of chocolates. Visit Strawberry Hill Povitica bakery to pick-up a loaf of the famous hand-made dessert bread–try the Cokalada (chocolate), White Chocolate Cherry or Strawberry Cream Cheese flavors. Delight in the Merriam-made Valomilk—a chocolate candy cup with a marshmallow flowing center (available at area retailers and grocers). Or, treat your sweetie to a delicious chocolate shake at Georgetown Pharmacy Soda Shop.
3. WINTER STROLL. Yes, it’s cold outside, but a stroll along Merriam’s Turkey Creek Streamway Trail, or a lap around the lake at Antioch Park are beautiful ways to spend time together outdoors. Bundle up and make snow angels or draw a heart in the snow with your names inside and capture a snowy selfie. Check out Merriam parks here!
4. SPEND THE DAY. Make a day out of your Valentine’s date. Start with breakfast at Pegah’s, then venture out to view the new exhibit on display at the Tim Murphy Art Gallery. Shop ’til you drop by perusing the aisles of “must-haves” at IKEA, or explore the alternative and holistic health items at Gemini in downtown Merriam. Gas up and take an “art-drive” around the city to find Merriam’s fascinating public art, then end the day with takeout from a local restaurant. There’s nothing like exploring for a few hours—you’ll always find something special and new.
5. OR SPEND THE NIGHT. We all love to be at home, but this pandemic has us itching to get out. Consider an overnight at one of Merriam’s hotels and pamper yourself with peace and quiet, sleeping in, a great breakfast, and amenities you’ll appreciate. Check out special offers at exploremerriam.com.
Celebrating Galentine’s instead? Celebrate on Saturday with the gal pals. Head to Merriam Cinemark where you can book your own private screening starting at $99 which includes up to 20 guests. Imagine snacking on popcorn, laughing with friends and enjoying your choice of a classic fan-favorite or a newly released movie in the privacy and comfort of your own auditorium. Book a date online–learn more at cinemark.com/private-watch-party