Maybe I’m a little biased, and I’m sure most people feel the same about their hometown, but Christmas in Kansas City is magical. Everyone should come here to experience the most wonderful time of the year. From Santa sightings in every corner of the metro to musical performances not to be missed, Kansas City is the place to be for the holidays. If you find yourself on the road or in the sky en route to KC this December, I hope you’ll take the time to add in at least one quintessential Kansas City holiday must-do! Here’s a nice list to get you started:
- American Youth Ballet “The Nutcracker,” December 16-17 at JCCC
- View the Plaza lights
- Ice skating at Crown Center or ICE in Leawood
- Winterfest at Worlds of Fun
- KCS Holiday Express at Union Station, December 15-19
- Dazzle Trolleys run through the heart of KC, now through December 23
- Holiday shopping….IKEA is a fantastic place for checking items off your list; or, enjoy the local Merry in Merriam offers now through December 31
- A Very Fifties Christmas, now through January 6 at the Johnson County Museum
While this is certainly not an exhaustive list of all things holiday in Kansas City, it’s a great start when looking for something holiday-ish to-do. What is your favorite holiday tradition in Kansas City? My family’s favorite is driving the neighborhoods to see the light displays (shout out to Candy Cane Lane in Prairie Village), grabbing hot cocoa and ending at the Crown Center shops to select a new ornament for our tree.
Happy holidays from the Merriam Visitors Bureau!