Fall is a great time of year to pack up and take a little trip with the girls. Kids are back to normal school routines, summer activities and sports have dwindled and there’s a ton of sale events and fall activities to entice the ladies for an extended weekend at your favorite destination. To make the most of your time, budget and fun while away, here’s a list of our top 10 essentials for your next girlfriends’ getaway.
- Start early and save early – It’s important to plan at least 3-6 months out for extended weekend trips. It gives everyone time to research your chosen destination and exchange ideas for things to do while away. Look for recommendations and peer reviews on Trip Advisor.
- Organize your home life so you can enjoy the trip – Don’t let little details from home affect your good time. Keep the kids’ schedule light while you’re away; make sure dad has a list of important information; and, check in only daily to say hi to your flock. Getting away will bring you back refreshed and ready to see the fam.
- Contact the local CVB for information — Once your destination is chosen, call the local Convention & Visitors Bureau for a Visitors’ Guide, map of the area, special offers and recommendations. The CVB is a handy resource before and during your trip.
- Book your lodging – Don’t wait until the last minute to pick accommodations and make sure you read the fine print of any special online offers. Many discounted room offers have black-out dates or are only offered during weekdays. Book early, and if you find savings closer to your arrival date, ask for your reservation to be changed to accommodate the new discount.
- Share the duties – Remember, many hands make light work. Assign everyone on the trip a special job. Someone can plan snacks and beverages for the ride; another person can navigate stops and bathroom breaks.
- Pack light – Face it, we over pack. We don’t mean to, but what if we need a dress for an evening social or yoga pants for a workout? Let’s get real when packing for weekend getaways. Four girls do not need four hair dryers and flat irons. Share the bathroom items and reduce the shoe load. Pack according to weather and chosen activities, throw in some jammies, one extra lounging outfit and hit the road. Remember, you can always shop for that sparkly little number if needed.
- Let everyone choose an activity – Nothing kills the vibe if only one person gets to choose the activities. Maybe you like wine tasting but another gal is a beer fan. Make sure everyone gets a choice by allowing options for dining, activities and stops in between. Always include downtime for girl chat and freshening up for the next round of fun.
- Do something unexpected – Throw a surprise in the trip. It can be as simple as giving the ladies a little gift bag of items to enjoy on the trip (mascara, eye pillow, aspirin, water bottle, hand lotion, tissues, snacks, etc.) Or, maybe you can go all out and plan a stop mid-way between home and your destination for a tour, unique dining option or something completely off the itinerary. Themes are really fun too!
- Make memories – Snap a lot of pictures and take along a journal for the ladies to jot notes, memories and quotes. Upon your return, make mini-scrapbooks (digital or print) to share over coffee with the ladies when planning your next trip!
- Have fun – Don’t forget to enjoy the moment. Thinking ahead to the next activity or venue does not fully allow you to experience what you’re doing at the present time. Breathe, smile and enjoy the company of your best girlfriends!
Our picks for nearby girlfriend getaways:
- Paola / Miami County – Miami County Wine Trolley and glamping at Hoot Owl Hill
- Wichita – art museums and eclectic dining all across the city
- Kansas City region – tours at Boulevard, Roasterie and Christopher Elbow Chocolates; shopping at the new Merriam IKEA; lunch from a food truck vendor; West Bottoms antiquing; dinner at Grand Street Café and country line dancing at Kanza Hall.
- Atchison – haunted tour, shopping at Nell Hills and staying at a historic B&B
- Lake of the Ozarks – holiday shopping trip at the Premium Outlets with a recovery massage at Spa Shiki
What’s your favorite destination for a girls’ getaway near Kansas City? If you’re coming through Merriam, check out our special offers at nearby hotels for your lodging needs.