The holidays are just around the bend. As you’re making your list and checking it twice, we invite you to discover these amazing “Made in Merriam” products. From chocolate to candles, hand-blown glass to rockin’ guitar lamps, Merriam has no shortage of hand-made products to enjoy yourself or share with others.
Here’s a peek at the perfect inclusions for your holiday gift-giving this season:
- Since 1981 Dierk Van Keppel has been crafting beautiful free-blown glass pieces from his Merriam studio, Rock Cottage Glassworks. Each handcrafted piece is truly an exploration in design. Check out some of Dierk’s work at Shawnee Mission Medical Center (Trinity Sculpture).
- Sifers Valomilk is a 5th generation candy company located in downtown Merriam. Until you’ve tried the chocolate candy goodness, you’re missing out. Each Valomilk package consists of two pure milk chocolate cups filled with creamy marshmallow. All ingredients are natural with no artificial ingredients, additives or preservatives.
- Mixture products are made in a small warehouse space nearby downtown Merriam. With over 80 scents for bath, body and home, Mixture’s products are handmade in small batches using naturally derived renewable ingredients whenever possible. Mary Carol Garrity of the famed Nell Hills home interior stores carries the orange vanilla votive as the exclusive scent in her storefronts…one whiff and you’ll know why.
- Rock-n-rollers may at first be in shock and awe of a new Les Paul being torn apart. But, after seeing the final product, they’ll line up to order one for their own homes. The GuitarLamp is crafted by Dan Leap in his rock-n-roll inspired loft above downtown Merriam. Each custom-made lamp requires strumming the strings to turn on the light. GuitarLamp has been featured on HGTV and is found in celebrity rocker homes such as Bret Michaels, Ted Nugent and the Jonas Brothers.
- QVC isn’t the only place you’ll find this delicious swirled dessert bread, but it definitely sells out on the televised program every time Strawberry Hill Povitica is invited. From grandmother’s recipe dating back to the late 1800’s, each povitica is hand-rolled and baked to perfection in Merriam. With over 11 flavors to choose from, you should stop by for a free sample. If you love the bread (and we know you will), these little two-pounders make excellent holiday gifts for those you love.
- These may not be on your shopping list this season, but no “Made in Merriam” feature would be complete without a mention towards K.C. Strings Violin Shop in downtown Merriam. Featuring string instruments for the very beginning student to professional level orchestras, K.C. Strings is the only American maker of professional level violins, viola, cellos and basses. One step inside the shop on Merriam Drive and you’ll immediately appreciate the art of music and old-world craftsmanship poured into each and every instrument.