While it has been a pretty mild winter this year (so far), there is nothing like ushering in a fresh, new season. As we look forward to moving our clocks forward on Sunday, March 12, we also welcome the longer days ahead with warmer temps and lots of fun things to see and do! Here’s our take on things we love about spring in Merriam.
- The Heartland Artist Exhibition — this nationally juried art show features 56 artists from eight states and the opening reception provides live music, complimentary food and drinks, a chance to meet and mingle with the artists and the opportunity to buy your favorite piece! The show opens on Sat. March 4 (5-7 p.m. opening reception) and runs through April 1. The best part is this annual show (and all the monthly exhibits at the gallery) are FREE and open to the public. Learn more at Tim Murphy Art Gallery
- The most popular workshop of the year, the hanging flower basket workshop, is already sold out with a growing waiting list, but there are plenty of other options if you’re seeking a fun and interactive class environment to DIY, take a trip, or sharpen a skill. We’re loving the planting party and wine class on Friday, Mar. 24—what could be better than crafting and wine? Check out this fun event or many others at workshops and classes.
- Longer days means more time outdoors and Merriam is chock full of fresh-air options for you and your family! Let’s start with another round of park-hopping. You can choose from nine parks in Merriam. Maybe you can grab a book and head to Antioch Park for some reading in the sunshine while the kiddos play nearby at the wild-west themed play area known as Dodge Town. Or, explore the history behind Brown Park. Let’s not forget about the four miles of paved trail along the Turkey Creek Streamway Trail. You can explore wildlife, toss stones in the creek, bike, walk, jog or rollerblade–there’s always something to see along the way! Take along this handy park map so you can visit all the Merriam parks this spring!
- Patio time! While some days may still be a bit chilly for drinks on the patio, there will be random 72-degree perfect afternoons on occasion, so plan ahead for those warm weather days and grab a spot on the patio at Hurricane Allie’s. The food is delicious, the drinks are cold, and the vibe is nice and chill. You could play poker on Thursdays, sing along to karaoke Thursday-Saturday evenings, enjoy Taco Tuesday each week, or just stop by for a burger and fries.
- Last but not least, our favorite festival of the year takes place this spring in Antioch Park! Come out for a full day of family fun at Turkey Creek Festival on Sat., May 20. This annual event features free kids’ activities, live music, arts and crafts, a 5k walk/run, food trucks and so much more! Start with the pancake feed by Boy Scout Troop 0247, then make your way through the many things to do throughout the day! Turkey Creek Festival is always a great way to spend a Saturday with family and friends and it offers free admission!