In celebration of National Pet Day on April 11th (yes, it’s a thing–the National Calendar at a Glance says so), we thought it fitting to celebrate and share the fur babies in our lives, and educate travelers about Merriam’s pet-friendly places.
Meet Ladi Dadi—she’s a toy poodle who is the sweetest, most loving and smart girl around. Fiercely protective of her travel bag (her mohawk hairstyle all the more intimidating), Ladi loves to tag along with her humans on various trips and excusions, happily obeying all the puppy laws when livin’ it up at a pooch-friendly spot.
This is Pip! Pip is a temperamental rabbit who lives in a custom-made triplex rabbit condo and is too spoiled for her own good. She enjoys lounging near her hay rack by day and wreaking havoc by night, keeping her human (and human’s parents) awake until the wee hours like it’s her own personal bunny nightclub. Pip is portable and has traveled on occasion—thankfully never being snubbed since she’s not a typical traveling pet.
If you’re a pet parent, you know the struggle is real when trying to decide to travel or not to travel with the critters in tow. In fact, according to DogVacay.com, “pet owners aren’t fully enjoying the benefits of what should be a relaxing travel experience because they are worrying about their pets.” This nifty infographic shows that 73% of people feel guilty about leaving their pet in a kennel when they travel and 21% of them have trouble finding pet-friendly accommodations. Fortunately, since there are so many of us pro-pet travelers out there, lodging, attractions and other visitor-friendly locations are starting to pay attention and make special packages and allowances so people and pets can travel more freely together.
Sure, there are times when the grandpet parents are a more suitable option or the Rover.com sitter just makes more sense, but for times when you really want to get away with your fur-baby, it’s good to know the pet-friendly odds are shifting in your favor.
Here in Merriam for example, pets are heartily welcomed in our community. From overnight lodging to a doggie day-care if you prefer a parents’ day out activity, the plethora of pet amenities are certainly a good reason to consider Merriam when traveling to the Kansas City region. Take a peek at our pet-friendly spots across town and be sure to swing by the CVB office (M-F 8:00a.m.-4:30 p.m.) for a pooch treat if you’re in the neighborhood.
- Lodging: Drury Inn, Super 8, Extended Stay America and Quality Inn Merriam all have pet-friendly policies. Please inquire with each property for specific details–click here for easy access to the hotels online.
- Daycare/Boarding: Woof’s Play & Stay offers boarding options when you must leave them behind and day-play if you need a PDO. Grooming services are also available, and who knows, your pooch could win Top Dog Award.
- Grooming: Jenny’s Pet Care & Dog Grooming on Merriam Drive is a great spot for a spiffy new do! Mention her website coupon and receive $3 off your first dog groom.
- Supplies: PetSmart at Merriam Town Center and Merriam Lawn & Feed at Johnson & Merriam Drive both have pet food and supplies if you forget an essential supply when visiting.
- Parks, parks, and more parks: All of Merriam’s parks and trails are pet-friendly and nary a moment goes by without seeing a leashed fur baby leading the way of park goers and trail walkers. Bonus: all Merriam parks have pet waste stations, so there’s no worries when duty calls. Click here for a list of parks in Merriam!
- Day for the Dogs: No community would be complete without an event entirely focused on the four-legged furries. Merriam’s Pooch Paddle is a fun, tail-wagging, all-dog swimming party held on Monday, September 4, 2017 at the Merriam Aquatic Center.
- No Pets? You may be reading this blog thinking, “I don’t even have a pet.” We’ve got that covered too. Merriam is home to Great Plains SPCA, a local shelter housing dogs and cats (and sometimes other animals) in need of caring, loving homes and humans. Give them a shout if you’re looking to adopt, or feel free to make a little donation to keep this worthy organization stocked with supplies.
Now that you’ve got the perfect pet-friendly place to visit, come see us in Merriam! We’re pawsitively certain you’ll love our pawspitality–fur real!