Have you been cooped up a little too long? We thought so. Even though some schools have just recently reopened for in-person learning, many are still scheduling the annual Spring Break. If you’re looking for a little break too from remote meetings and digital screen time, we’re sharing 10 great reasons you and your family should explore Merriam during Spring Break.
Merriam is an ideal choice in the Kansas City metro for a Spring Break destination! Whether you live locally and want to check-out nearby things to do, or are coming to town for a quick visit with friends or family, check out these socially-distanced activities for a fun-filled Spring Break. For your reassurance, our hotels, restaurants, and attractions have set up additional precautions and cleaning procedures, making health and safety a continued priority.
Take a look at the top 10 suggestions to kick-off your Spring Break itinerary in Merriam, Kansas:
- Start off with the most important meal of the day–dessert! A delicious sampling of hand-made povitica from Merriam’s local Strawberry Hill Povitica Bakery is the perfect choice and comes in over a dozen flavors.
- Grab a stroll or bike along the Turkey Creek Streamway Trail — you’ll pass neighborhood pocket parks on this four-mile paved trail, and you might even see wildlife along the creek!
- Explore digitally with your GPS enabled device. The Visitors Bureau has two geocaches placed in our city–can you find them? Learn more at www.geocaching.com and search for merriamcvb.
- If history is more your speed, you’ll want to download the Otocast app and take the Merriam History Tour. Download this free app on Google Play or the App Store and enjoy your history lesson about Merriam.
- Pick a park and settle in for playground fun, a leisure walk or a lunchtime picnic. Better yet, spend a day park hopping to all of Merriam’s parks–they’re free and open to the public sunrise to sunset daily.
- Enjoy an art stroll around town; from beautifully created sculptures to permanent or rotating gallery exhibits, explore Merriam’s public art collection for a fun and new learning experience. Check out Artfully Merriam or visit the latest exhibit at the Tim Murphy Art Gallery!
- Take a dip in the indoor Merriam pool at the Merriam Community Center. From the lazy river to fun splash zones, water is a great way to tucker out the littles before bedtime. >>Explore the MCC from A-Z on page 14 of the 2021 Merriam Visitor Guide.
- Pupusas to go!!! To finish off the day, stop by Anita’s Cuisine or El Pulgarcito for the very best Pupusas around!
- Make it a mini-vacay with an affordable night at one of Merriam’s hotels. You can even score a deal with Merriam’s special offers on lodging.
- Capture and share your Merriam Spring Break memories via Instagram–learn more on page 12 at the link >> Merriam Insta Challenge!
Happy spring from the Merriam Visitors Bureau! #ExploreMerriam #InstaChallenge #SpringBreak